Retirement can have many meanings. For some, it will be a time to travel and spend time with family members. For others, it will be a time to start a new business or begin a charitable endeavor. Regardless of what approach you intend to take, here are nine things about retirement that might surprise you.
- Many consider the standard retirement age to be 65. One of the key influencers in arriving at that age was Germany, which initially set its retirement age at 70 then lowered it to age 65.1
- Every day between now and the end of the next decade, another 10,000 baby boomers is expected to turn 65. That’s roughly one person every 8 seconds.2
- In 2018, people aged 65 and older accounted for 15% of the population in the U.S. By 2060, they are expected to represent more than one in four Americans.3
- Ernest Ackerman was the first person to receive a Social Security benefit. In March 1937, the Cleveland streetcar motorman received a one-time, lump-sum payment of 17¢. Ackerman worked one day under Social Security. He earned $5 for the day and paid a nickel in payroll taxes. His lump-sum payout was equal to 3.5% of his wages.1
- Sixty-seven percent of retirees say they are confident about having enough money to live comfortably throughout their retirement years.4
- People aged 65 and older account for 34% of all prescription medication use and 30% of all over-the-counter medication use. Nearly nine of 10 adults aged 65 years and older say they have taken at least one prescription drug in the last 30 days.5,6
- Fifty-nine percent of retirees were dependent upon on Social Security as a major source of their income. The average monthly Social Security benefit at the beginning of 2019 was $1,461.1,4
- Centenarians – in 1980 there were 32,000 of them. Today there are more than 86,248 And 79% of them are women.7
- Seniors age 65 and over spend a lot of time watching TV, on average, over 4 hours a day.8
These stats and trends point to one conclusion: The 65-and-older age group is expected to become larger and have more influence in the future. Have you made arrangements for health care? Are you comfortable with your investment decisions? If you are unsure about your decisions, maybe it’s time to develop a solid strategy for the future.
Click here to schedule a call with a BWC advisor today.
1. The United States Social Security Administration, 2019
2. Forbes, 2018
3. The United States Census Bureau, 2018
4. Employee Benefit Research Institute, 2019 Retirement Confidence Survey
5. Medscape, 2019
6. UptoDate.com, 2019
7. The United States Census Bureau, 2018
8. U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2018
The information presented in this article is obtained from or based on sources believed to be reliable. BWC does not represent or warrant its accuracy or completeness and is not responsible for losses or damages arising out of errors, omissions or changes or from the use of information presented in this article. The article does not purport to contain all the information that an interested party may desire and, in fact, provides only a limited view. Information presented does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security.
All investments involve risk, including loss of principal invested. Past Performance does not guarantee future performance. Individual client accounts and performance vary. BWC does not provide tax advice.
About Beirne Wealth Consulting Services, LLC – www.beirnewealth.com
Beirne Wealth Consulting Services, LLC (“BWC”) is a privately owned, SEC Registered Investment Advisor with offices in Connecticut and Pennsylvania. BWC provides independent, fee-based investment management services and customized financial planning solutions. Our institutional business provides consulting expertise to defined benefit and defined contribution plans, endowments, foundations and non-profit organizations. Our private clients include high net-worth individuals and prominent families, many of whom bring complex wealth management challenges and multigenerational planning needs. For more information, please visit www.beirnewealth.com or give us a call today at 888-231-6372.
*Registration does not imply a level of skill or training.
© 2020 Beirne Wealth Consulting Services, LLC (BWC). All rights reserved. Reproduction or Use without permission is prohibited.